Monday, July 19, 2010

Boys & Plants

The boys are back from the festival & they had a great time. Here are some rocks they brought back from the beach at the ferry... I forgot how gorgeous the rocks are there, every one you pick up is special.Hi all...Another day of garden bounty, the treasure mama digs up from the yard. I do have pretty good helpers, they love pulling out the new baby potatoes & today we thinned out the leeks, onions & carrots. I also planted more carrots to over winter. I think we'll have our first sunflower burst open any day now. We planted 3 varieties, the velvet queen (red, many heads), a surprise variety from a friend, and an old fashioned large headed black seed variety I found as a volunteer in my yard in Nelson.It is embarassing to say but this is the first chard that has grown for me. It is my "Italian Silver Rib and "Scarlet Charlotte", they are delicious, so tender when young & fresh. I am impressed by this variety of spinach we are growing as well, the "King of Denmark". It is producing like mad, the leaves are smaller and it is shooting up as if it were going to seed but it is just growing more and more stalks. I harvest these plants hard every day and they are bigger than ever & haven't bolted in the hot heat of the mid summer. It's a keeper... And our Russian sugar snap peas, they are huge and highly productive. I've started to blend my basil with a bit of olive oil in the food processor and freeze it in small glass jars. I'm growing 3 kinds of basil, the large leaf, purple and holy basil/tulsi. Tulsi has been revered in India for over five thousand years, as a healing balm for body, mind and spirit, and is known to bestow an amazing number of health benefits... reduces stress, enhances stamina, relieves inflammation, lowers cholesterol, eliminates toxins, protects against radiation, prevents gastric ulcers, lowers fevers, improves digestion and provides a rich supply of antioxidants and other nutrients. Tulsi is especially effective in supporting the heart, blood vessels, liver and lungs and also regulates blood pressure and blood sugar. And it tastes good & my garden is growing lots of it. I'm drying all of my herbs for winter use as well- oregano, thyme, rosemary, chamomile... also drying some from the wild like red clover, yarrow, elder.

Just add hot water...What, you gonna roll off the bed? He is on the move in a serious way.

I feel like we have arrived at this active, mobile baby phase too quickly. He is everywhere all of a sudden. He's aiming for the unknown and the forbidden, the basket of playmobil, and a few minutes later this red ladder was in his mouth... looks fairly pleased with himself. Time to start baby proofing the house. Just nowhere to put anything...the giveaway bag perhaps? I would like that.

1 comment: